Hair Tutorials

02 March 2016

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Reading with my Kenzie is my favorite part of each day.  After bath and a few games of hide n seek, we cuddle up and read 5 to 15 books each night (depending on how many times I give in to "just one more" after we've finished our original pile).  At 3 1/2 Kenzie has really started to enjoy Dr. Seuss!  She's obsessed with "Wocket in my Pocket" because she loves to rhyme.  And she loves "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" because we get to drum on the book.  And, of course, "Go, Dog, Go" is so exciting and wacky.  Do you like my hat? No, I do not like your hat.  But my favorite is "Oh, the Places You'll Go" because I can daydream about her future as we read it together.  

Aside from fabulous quotes and fun books to read with my little one, there are so many things we can learn about the late Mr. Theodor “Dr. Seuss” Geisel and his widow Audrey Stone Geisel.  Here are just a few fun facts about them. 

1. I read that his first children's book was rejected 27 time before it was published!  

2.  He did not have any children and the unpredictability of children unnerved him.

3.  He was quite the philanthropist.  His wife is especially generous with donations.  

4.  Even though they lived much of their lives in SoCal, Audrey Stone Geisel or "Mrs. Dr. Seuss" grew up in the Chicago area and earned a nursing degree form IU in the 1940s.   And as president of the Dr. Seuss Fund and Dr. Seuss Foundation, she has contributed to many causes in support of literacy, health care, the arts, and education.

There is always more to the story.  I just heard something about a "human library" in Denmark where you can "check out" people to listen to their stories.  


No comments:

Post a Comment